Are you looking for some family friendly fun this 4th of July weekend? If you’re in San Antonio, you should consider coming out to Freedom Fest at Market Square and checking out the Curious World Tour. If you aren’t in San Antonio, don’t worry, the Curious World Tour’s Little Blue Truck will be continuing on to 7 other cities (Austin, Dallas, San Diego, Sacramento, Oakland, San Francisco and Los Angeles) after the stop in San Antonio.
So you’re probably wondering what the Curious World Tour is. The Curious World Tour was created by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH) along with the Association of Children’s Museums and The Ultimate Block Party. It promises to be a fun, playful, and inspiring learning experience for all ages. The tour will feature fun HMH characters and will also be celebrating the 75th birthday of Curious George!
Here’s what Linda K. Zecher (President, CEO, and Director of HMH) had to say about the Curious World Tour:
The Curious World Tour’s mobile learning experience will include 6 stations for kids to come play and learn. At each station, kids will also be able to check out the Curious World App which contains videos, games, and stories aimed at kids ages 2-7.
Here’s a look at what each of the 6 stations has to offer:
• Curious World HQ: The welcome truck with a giant map featuring videos of children saying “hello” in multiple languages, where adventure leaders will give children the opportunity to plan and document their Curious World Tour journey with a Curiosity Log.
• Story Camp: A tented library featuring HMH characters and award-winning stories – like Curious George, Gossie and Gertie, and the Five Little Monkeys – inviting kids to relax on tree-trunk stools and open up their imagination for story time.
• Community Garden: An outdoor space for kids to engage in various food-learning exercises, such as planting their own seeds in a decorated pot that they can take home to water and watch grow.
• Space Station: An extraterrestrial area expanding kids’ minds, encouraging them to think beyond planet Earth with the opportunity to make alien puppets, build space shuttles and learn about constellations in rocket ship light brites.
• Jungle Jamboree: A play area with an open stage featuring special appearances by Curious George and others, where kids will learn about sound, rhythm and tunes on an interactive music wall.
• #SparkAMind Color the World: A collaborative mural to help kids express their artistic side and learn about team work as they color in their favorite HMH characters alongside a local artist. Murals will be donated to education institutions and organizations that serve children and families in each local community.
Besides providing this fun and playful learning experience, HMH will also be partnering with local nonprofits to donate 7500 books and resources.